Study Tour, Northern Italy [POSTPONED]
Please note: this tour has been postponed owing to the coronavirus outbreak.We are hoping to reschedule for 2021, and updates will be publicised in due course. Existing bookings will be honoured, or refunded in full upon request.
International Study Tour Northern Italy
Sunday 17th May – Saturday 23rd May 2020
Our Study Tour for 2020 will be a two-centre visit based around the cities of Turin and Milan, exploring the technical history of this region of northern Italy.
Sunday 17th May (Turin)
- Delegates may wish to arrive early in Turin to visit the impressive Egyptian Museum: https://museoegizio.it/en/
- 18.00 Welcome Reception at a venue in the city centre
Monday 18th May (Turin)
- Archives and object stores of ASTUT (http://astut.unito.it)
- Museum of Physics of the University of Turin
Tuesday 19th May (Turin)
- Real Collegio of Moncalieri (teaching collection of physics experiments)
- Coach to Turin Observatory
Wednesday 20th May (Turin/Milan)
- Museo Tecnologicamente (Olivetti), Ivrea (1 hr drive)
- Continue to Milan, arriving by lunchtime. Free time to check-in to hotels and purchase lunch.
- Possible visit to the Ambrosian Library in the afternoon (to be confirmed)
Thursday 21st May (Milan)
- Brera Observatory and museum
- Poldi Pezzoli Museum (collection of 200 sundials, watches and clocks)
Friday 22nd May (Milan)
- Visit to the city of Pavia (1 hr drive)
- University Museums, including the physics collection, the collection used by Alessandro Volta (1745-1827) and the anatomical museum
- Museum of Electrical Technology
- Gala dinner
Saturday 23rd May (Milan)
- Museo Nazionale della Scienza e della Tecnologia Leonardo da Vinci (both the museum displays and collection stores)
Delegates will be required to organise their own travel and accommodation for both Turin and Milan. For Turin, our meeting point for the excursions will be the bus stop near Corso Massimo d’Azeglio, 15, in front of the palace of Torino Esposizioni. For Milan, delegates are advised to book hotels near the Museo Nazionale Scienza e Tecnologia Leonardo da Vinci (via San Vittore 21).
Our host has recommended B&B Hotel Milano Sant’Ambrogio Milano, Via degli Olivetani, 4 , 20123 Milano, as a possible budget option, if desired.
The programme fee is £400 per person (£450 for non-members) to include all visits, travel between venues, either by coach or public transport, conference dinner and lunches (where possible). Delegates will be required to purchase their own drinks.